Moving Tips: Pack First & Last, plus the "Arrival Survival Kit"
Updated: Jul 29, 2020
This post part of my #MoveItOrLoseIt series, where I share my best moving tips with you. Find links to more moving tips at the end of this page!
I've compiled a general list of things to pack first and last, as well as an "arrival survival kit" list to prepare for your move-in day! While these lists are not the end-all-be-all, I'd like to think they're pretty damn helpful.
As always, just a reminder that before you do any packing, you should declutter your entire home! This means everything from you kitchen cabinets to your basement or attic. Less Stuff + Less Packing = Cheap Move Find out more about how to declutter for a move in this post, inspired by Missy Elliott.
Off Season Clothes & Shoes 50% of your wardrobe (most people only wear 20% of their wardrobe, 80% of the time)
Reference Files (Non-Important Docs)
Accent Furniture & Decor (not everyday use)
Artwork/Framed Photos Holiday Decor
Important Documents Tech used daily w/chargers
Mail & a few office supplies
Food & Drink (pending the distance you are moving, throw out a lot) 1 Week Supply of Pet Food & Treats Kids Favorite Toys & Outfits Most Treasured Framed Photos/Artwork
Daily Toiletries & First Aid
A Couple days worth of clothes
ARRIVAL SURVIVAL KIT
Give future-you a care package of items that will help you settle into your new home quickly, from day 1, without having to unpack any boxes. Simply pack these items in a large container and put it in your car, or have it be the first thing off the truck (along with refrigerated food).
- $$$Cash (tip Movers or any other service providers needed for the move)
- Hand Soap/Hand Sanitizer (for all bathrooms, plus kitchen)
- Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner (use those travel sized ones I know you have)
- Towels (wash cloths, hand towels, bath towels, shower mat x2 for all bathrooms) - Toilet Paper x2 for all bathrooms - Dental Care (for all bathrooms being used the 1st night) - Laundry Detergent & Hamper (hamper can be a paper bag temporarily if needed)
- Dish Soap/Dishwasher Soap - Sponge/Towels - Paper Towels/Microfiber Towels - Vacuum/Broom/Dust Pan - Disinfectant/Cleaning Supplies
- 1 Roll of Regular Trash Bags & Trash Can
- Box Cutters & Scissors, Tape
- Marker, Pen, Notepad & Post Its - Snacks & Drinks - Kids Favorite Toys - Flatware/Plates/Cups x1 each per person - Coffee & Tea Supplies - Bed Linens (for all beds being slept in the 1st night)
- Curtains or blinds at least to bathrooms & bedrooms (use sheet with push pins if in a pinch)
Other Good Tips - Find out when the trash/recycling gets picked up. The information of a nearby restaurant to order food for everyone (dietary restrictions should be considered) Playlist to keep you motivated to unpack Write down your Wifi Password and put it somewhere you won't lose it.
Create a "To Address" to make note of all the things that you notice during the move in.
If you enjoyed this post, find more moving tips from me in these posts as part of my #moveitorloseit series!: How to Declutter Before a Move - ft. Missy Elliott How To Move Out Quickly How To Pack Your Photos and Art for a Move How To Pack Your Closet for a Move How To Pack Your Kitchen For a Move